Steadfast and Unmovable

God is so mindful of us that He will use commonly overlooked things to give us a message. 

"Hold your head still," the shampoo assistant said to me while she blow-dried my hair. Using the comb attachment, she combed the blow dryer through my hair to straighten and dry my hair simultaneously. I found myself moving with the motion of blow dryer instead of keeping my head still. Moving my head with the dryer only got in her way and probably made her job a bit challenging. The interesting thing is that when I comb my own hair, my head remains still because I know who's controlling the comb.  I guess it's different when it's someone else ("an outsider") controlling the comb. 

Be still and know that I am God...
Psalm 46:10

How many times do we find ourselves being moved by circumstances instead of being still in the presence of God?  How many times do we find our thoughts running off rails because of a negative situation?
Easier said than done, but we must not allow these things to be.  Being still (physically, mentally and emotionally) is a discipline that's mastered through the practices of daily Bible reading, prayer, praise, worship and affirmation. Oftentimes, we have to retake the tests God allows to come our way so we can master it and ascend to the next level/dimension of our spiritual walk.  We deal with all types of varying outside interferences; however, those things shouldn't take us out of character or even worse: cause us to forget the One who has all power and control.

Let's take on another perspective: maybe God is trying to "comb out" (straighten) some things in your life.  Are you getting in the way of the move of God?  Once again, let's learn to be still and KNOW that He's God.

The Word of God is our sure foundation. If you find yourself super easily moved by the winds of life, make that a point/target of prayer. Ask God to help you to remain still, steadfast and unmovable like that tree planted by the rivers of water.  Ask God to make you a thermostat instead of a thermometer, so that you control the temperature and are not controlled by it. 

 You move the comb; don't let the comb move you! 

~Shairon 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Intentional

Childlike Faith