"The Biggest Flex!"

Seems like the older I get, the more I fall behind on the latest trends, terms and phrases. 
"Clock that tea" (which still befuddles me)
"No cap." Just say "no lie." Geez.

And to be honest, I am seriously okay with that.
My days of "keeping up with The Joneses" are long gone. I am a "domestic engineer"/SAHM with a super energetic three-year-old who keeps me on my toes. I have no time to keep up with the who's who or what's what.  However, I am on social media enough to pick up on reoccurring phrases, one of which is "flex" in context of this or that being a "flex." 

As a journalist by degree, "research" is my middle name.  I am the person who will research the main cast of a movie/ television series while I am watching that show or movie (anyone else does that?). Any who, according to Google, "flex" (slang) is defined as:

"to show off, boast or flaunt your possessions, skills, or achievements to impress others"

Photo courtesy of Google

We see plenty of "flexing" on social media: people flexing their relationship status (all boo'd up, posting pictures, #MCM/#WCW, etc.), the latest fashions, attending concerts with pricey ticket costs, going to super luxe restaurants, vacations, you name it. The latest flex: prom sendoffs.
OMG. High school seniors attending prom by helicopters, tankers and such while holding stacks of cash. People do this for a number of reasons. Some post to simply brag, to gain attention, to spark conversations that could gain trends and monetization (digital creators), and even to make others envy them. 

As a believer and follower of Christ, I always look for or connect a "spiritual parallel" of sorts to things in the natural. I realized that there are certain things, or levels/dimensions that believers reach can also be considered as a "flex," or as I would call a "faith flex." However, this type of flex isn't to make oneself look good; this type of flex is solely for the purpose of glorifying God and making His name, His power and abilities known.  We understand that we are fallible people who are dependent upon God and the "flexes" we have are because of His goodness, grace, mercy and love towards us. 

The following items are things I personally consider to be a "flex" in the life of a believer: 

*When you realize that everything you have is because of God's grace (1 Peter 5:6)
*When all hell is breaking loose in multiple aspects of life, and yet, your faith doesn't waiver at all. Instead, you choose to rejoice (1 Peter 4:12-13)
*When you choose to seek out the life lesson of an unfortunate ordeal instead of posturing yourself in pity and complaining (Romans 8:28)
*When you're stripped of things you worked hard for/to maintain (e.g., job, finances, health, etc.) and you continue to trust God no matter what (Job 13:15
*When the very thing you believed God for - I mean, your faith never wavered, was solid like the Rock of Gibraltar, and God did not allow that very thing to come to pass...and yet, you still choose to trust and praise God (Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego facing the fiery furnace, Daniel 3:16-18)
*When your vision board remain unfulfilled to the point that it seems like a waste of time, and yet, you rejoice because you realize that God's vision for you is way bigger and better than your heart's desire
(1 Corinthians 2:9)
*When you've been praying and fasting about a certain matter, and God remains silent on that issue.
Yet, you still choose to wait on Him; and while you wait, you praise and worship Him, in the middle of "being left in the dark" (Lamentations 3:25-26)
*When the most random events happen in the worse way and yet, you rejoice and give God praise without provocation (1 Peter 4:12-13)
*Tragedy happens, and your faith parallels the faith of Job (Job 1:21)
*You smile genuinely through adversity because your faith in God is cemented and fortified. (Job 13:15)
*The joy of the Lord is your life force and lifeline (Nehemiah 8:10)

Now, these examples don't make us "superhuman" or put us on the "Good Believers' List."  This should be our norm.  Yes, we will hurt, feel, go through the motions. We are human. But we must come out on the other side with healing, wholeness, faith and relentless praise. To have relentless faith in the midst of world filled with uncertainty on top of a corrupt system is truly a "flex." Disclaimer: there is nothing wrong with desiring worldly possessions that are luxurious; but when your desire for those things trumps your desire for Jesus and is powered by ungodly motives, that's when you must takes some time to do a deep introspection, repent and allow God to fill the void that's creating such desire(s). 

I aspire to flex my faith for the purposes of showing off Christ by being a living epistle, read and known of man (2 Corinthians 3:2-3). I believe once we understand that it is truly not about us, we can truly live an abundant life that rested on the foundation of His unadulterated Word.  Even that, is a "flex." 

I pray you were blessed, 


Shairon 

Inspiring lives, one drop at a time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pesky Fruit Flies!

PIVOT

ACCEPTABLE